Once upon a time it was the month of May and we published “We Act” from Jaclyn Watterson. Now Jaclyn answers some questions.
1. In the 2008 election cycle, how would have your gang of girls helped Hilary Clinton secure the Democratic nomination? In this current election cycle, what would they do to Paul Ryan?
For Hilary, my band of girls would clear the sidewalks.Â My girls would like to take over Paul Ryanâ€™s body. Before he gets to ours. The band is very, veryÂ afraid that Mitt is even a candidate. We must act.
2. Who would you kill? Why?
Mostly I try to avoid killing. Iâ€™m a vegetarian. But maybe a silverfish running toward me in my bathroom at four oâ€™clock in the morning has it coming.
3. What have you acted on lately?
Iâ€™m a teacher, and I consider that one kind of activism. If I can get students to ask questions, and really think about and look for answers lots of usâ€”lots of different kinds of usâ€”can live through, then I feel like Iâ€™m doing something. And when my students get me to ask questions, then Iâ€™m happy.
4. Who don’t you want on your sidewalks or eating your pie?
Plenty of people, but especially the ones who donâ€™t appreciate Roseanne Barr.Â Really, go back and watch Roseanne. The show asks so many questions about gender and class and sexuality, challenging the dominant discourse in revolutionary ways. Roseanneâ€™s running for president now too.
5. What is your favorite weapon?
Language. Iâ€™m fond of household objects as well.
6. Are boys that easily suckered?