Dynamic duo Elisa Gabbert and Kathleen Rooney’s poetry appears both in the February issue and PANK 4. They talk with J. Bradley about powers, tag team wrestling and forming a super group.
1. When you activate your Wonder Twin powers, what form would each of you take?
One of us would be an arctic fox, or maybe plasma. And the other would be a dolphin, or maybe a unicorn. Or better yet, a narwhal—best of both worlds.
2. If you were a tag team in the wrestling ring what would be your team finishing move? How would it look?
The Rhyming Snarky Pun! It would look fabulous.
3. When reading your work live, do each of you perform your parts or do you switch off on performing poems since you equally collaborate?
In our best poems, our joint voice achieves a level of synergy such that we forget which parts are whose. And we only read our best poems, so we just trade off from line to line and/or at the natural pauses.
4. What is your all-time favorite duet?
Probably “I’ve Had the Time of My Life” for associative reasons. Or possibly “Push It,”Â by Salt n’ Pepa for maximum hilarity.
5. Who would you form a super-literary rock band with?
We once planned to start our own rock band called Sorry About Your Daughter, but our lack of musical talent was a limiting factor (also, we’ve since discovered there’s already a band with that name). Our real skill likes in thinking of band names, not in forming actual bands.