Andrew Pullan’s poetry is featured in our London Calling issue. He talks with us about fighting metal, adolescent itches and winks as a seductive technique.
1. What job opportunities are there up north?
Very limited – the only oppportunity seems to be to work.
2. How many winks does it take you to get someone in the sack?
Speaking from experience just one – although having conjunctivitis can cause major problems.
3. Which actor is the poem miming?
4. What metal have you fought?
Brass – two monkeys had a go at me once in a bar.
5. How do you cure the itchiness of adolescence?
Sex only after marriage.
6. How much of your life is in your poems?
My fictional life. That is to say the life I wished I live and the life I feel safest in. If you want to be a writer then day dream a lot. The best writers I know are amongst the best liars I have ever known.