We were so excited to have this great story from Jared Yates Sexton in the March Issue, “A Man Gets Tired.” We were also excited about Jared’s answers to these questions.
1. How do you look when you get drunk?
When I get drunk I feel like I look like Clark Gable, but it’s probably closer to WC Fields. And it depends whether I’m drinking beer or whiskey. The former brings on a rather sad-sack, the latter an angry idiot.
2. What would be on the mixtape that sets the world on fire?
That’d have to have some early Stones on it and a whole lot of old country. More than a few by Johnny Cash.
3. Would you date someone who constantly got you into fist fights?
I’ve been down that road and it’s a lot more trouble than it’s worth.
4. What else can a man get tired of?
5. How much of your life is in “A Man Gets Tired”? How often do you borrow from others to write fiction?
Nearly every last bit. The only detail that wasn’t mine was the part with the girl with the fake breasts. My dad was hanging out at a bar once when her and that man showed up. I don’t think there was a fight, but there should’ve been.
6. Have you been in a physical fight? How did it turn out?
I have, and to be honest, I don’t think anybody wins with a fight. I don’t mean that in an old positive-bullshit-poster type of way either. Even if you beat the hell out of someone you wake up the next morning hurting and swollen. That? No fun for anyone.